Dear 2018

by - December 31, 2018


It felt just like yesterday as I penned down how the year before was. Another 365 days has once again passed and I decided to take some time to reflect and remember how good my Abba is. This time, I dug out some photos taken from my Bali trip this year and it brought back fond memories of Yenny and I frolicking in the heart of their iconic rice paddies, cafes and beaches.

Even as we enter the last day of 2018, He reminded me that I was His work in progress.

Many have shared their achievements and milestones, which led my mind instantly wandering off to the comparison game – where I saw individuals who had actualize spectacular goals and successfully sowed and reaped much more in their lives.

For a brief period, I felt that my growth was neither significant nor impactful. Who was I to do a reflection? What would I share?

It was then the Lord reminded me that I too, fought my battles and defeated my giants in my own ways. I was moulded and shaped to be more like Him as I trudged through these 365 days.

Some days, I rejoiced in my mini victories. Some days, I basked in love, family and friendships. Some days, I fell flat in defeat. Some days, I struggled, cried, fought and was ready to throw in the towel.

But, I know that every single day was a fresh day where I could begin again and seek new courage in it. I was to strive for progression, not perfection.

So, here are my milestones this year:


1. Career

It has been a journey of exponential growth for me as I integrated into a new environment and took on projects which I never thought I could execute on a global scale. This year saw me through travels to countries I was assigned to and broadened my horizon as I interacted and connected with others who shared the same goals as me.


2. Personal

With shifted focus, I placed lesser priority sharing on social media as compared to the past years. I spent my recreation time with people who matter - my loved ones, and reminded myself that relationships works both ways. Choose wisely who you would like to invest time and attention in, because not everyone is worth it.

A part of me still walked in the shadows of my past as I struggled to believe I wasn't enough, and I am thankful that the Lord sends constant reminders in the form of family, friends and a partner to reassure me.   


3. Wellbeing

More dedication has been allocated to my health with an influx of yoga and pilates classes, which I previously detested because of how mundane they were. Those extended moments during classes initially felt like a stretch and it took me numerous classes before I was reminded that stillness was just as important as activity. I'm also determined to take more time to rest and reflect as I step into 2019.


4. Spiritual 

As I trudged on through the year, Jesus has been faithfully beside me - lifting me up each time when I was down casted, reminding me that He is more than enough and aiding me in every step of the way as He supplies endless wisdom, grace and mercy. I've also recognised the importance of personal time with the Lord and penning down my thoughts as I cast them to Him.



I was once again, reminded that my Jesus knows His plans for me and will complete His work in me. He has went ahead and said it is good. That changed my perspective as fear for insignificance, fear for being inadequate and fear for my future melted away.

Be it a good or a bad year for you, I pray that as you acknowledge the existence of every grief, sadness and negativity and yet choose to celebrate your victories and yourself, you will find peace and fulfillment. You are so precious to Jesus and He has saved the best for last. 2019 will be it!

Sending you all my love,
Shi Ling

You May Also Like

0 comments

//]]>