I'm Engaged!

by - March 28, 2020




To memorialise this, I decided to dedicate a post so that I could look back and be reminded of how much goodness He has poured into our lives, especially mine.

Never would I imagine to have someone, who would take a 13 hour flight to New Zealand and drive 7 hours just to propose to me. That act alone, has proven to be a miracle during this COVID-19 pandemic - where the New Zealand govt announced that everyone entering NZ from 15 March onwards had to self quarantine for 14 days.

Jeremy was expected to join us in the South island on 19 March as my family had arrived in Wellington on 14 March to explore the North island first.

Little did I know, everyone knew he booked a flight one day after we flew. 

I remembered the exact moment where he told me he wouldn't be flying as the announcement was released. It was the first evening of our trip and tears immediately welled up and trickled down as he broke the news to me.

I clutched onto my phone and whispered: 'No, this can't be.'

Every part of me felt it was wrong. I asked God why. I shouldn't be here because he was not. I couldn't bring myself to savour and enjoy the beauty of this country when we were supposed to experience it together. My heart ached. I sobbed uncontrollably as we got on another video call and he reminded that God is good - no matter what. To have a man who speaks life and points me back to Jesus each time I falter, I was beyond thankful.

The second day of our trip went by in a whir and what remained unknown to me was that Jeremy had reached Wellington that evening. We would Facetime each other every night, but he chose to speak via audio - claiming he was on his way to meet a friend. I placed little thought to it, given that we were 5 hours ahead and plopped myself on the bed after overcoming a defeated day.

I recalled counting down - 14 more days till I see him.

Waking up to a fresh start on the third day, I reminded myself that I could choose the outcome of my feelings. My family was with me and I had the power to choose if I wanted the remaining days of the trip to be filled with fun or dullness. I slipped on brightest dress I had, a yellow maxi dress adorned with tortoise shell buttons and proceeded to curl my hair after doing my makeup.

That helped to set the day - which was the day Jeremy would propose.

My sister had been Jeremy's spy - feeding him with the latest news of our whereabouts. At this point, we had driven 5 hours away from Wellington and would continue to drive further up. We took a pitstop at Lake Taupo and had Macdonald's for lunch after a 2 hours drive. I was elated to use my coupons and as always, eager to try out something new from their menu.

One occasion that remained etched in my memory was when my sister looked up at me in silence for a few seconds as she took these moments to analyse my facial features. The worst of my mind was filled with apprehensions. Could she be withholding something bad from me? Before I could utter a word, she diffused my thought process with: 'Sis, you look very pretty today.' It appeared queer to me as she wasn't someone who showers her words lavishly, but I spontaneously replied: 'Awwww, thanks!!' in a sanguine chuckle.

Simultaneously, Jeremy texted and asked about my meal. He requested for a video of me and my outfit, which was a typical conversation we exchanged daily. I sent it to him promptly.

Once food was served, my family polished it up swiftly and we were ready for our next destination. My mum then shared that her knees hurt, and wanted some rest in Macdonald's - all in a bid to stall time for Jeremy which I was still completely clueless about.

My sister then suggested to check out Lake Taupo's lookout point, a 5 min drive away from where we were. We took it up and made our way there. We were greeted by an obstructed view of the lake, where rows of trees lined up along a road which would then lead us to the observatory point. It was completely underwhelming, I thought to myself. We made our way towards it, and unbeknownst to me - everyone else decelerated.

My sister loudly bellowed: 'Only sis! Just walk towards the tree!!' I gulped as my heart was racing at 2838272873m/s and retorted: 'WHAT? WHY? WHAT?' but continued to follow the instructions given...and there was no reply.

During those mere moments as I walked, it came to me that Jeremy could propose. But promptly brushed it off since he wasn't going to make it here. My mind wandered off to other conclusions that I was tasked to walk ahead.

Once again, my thought process was disrupted when Jeremy appeared from the bushes. He was in the suit we had went to the tailor multiple times for, and was carrying a huge bouquet of flowers. My mind couldn't comprehend his appearance.

I bawled.

I simply didn't understand, and repeatedly ask: 'Why are you here?' as we embraced each other. He replied: 'What do you think?' And this conversation went on for a while before he went down on one knee - requesting to do life with Jesus and me for the rest of our lives.

I said yes.

--

The act of proposing was short, but what remains a lifetime - would be the choice that we made to be one. What God has joined together, let no one separate. I love you.

If Jeremy would have bought his ticket just a day later, he wouldn't have flown and the proposal could never had materialise. No finite wisdom could have orchestrated this. Thank You Jesus, for Your steadfast love towards us.

Now, onward to our next journey together.

You May Also Like

0 comments

//]]>