Share the Love with GK

by - March 20, 2016


What we are is God's gift to us. What we become is our Gift to God. 

After months of preparation leading up to the big event - our mission trip to the Philippines in partnership with Gawad Kalinga (GK), it was time! A part of me was beyond thrilled because I find so much joy blessing others; while the other half of me felt apprehensive of what to expect and afraid it wouldn't run smoothly. 

With an open heart, I hurriedly packed my luggage and prepared lots of educational items for the kids. My sister and I made a point to reach the airport earlier to link up with the other participants, who have blossomed into buddies. 


We were greeted with vivid blue skies on flight so Nat (from multifolds) & I couldn't stop snapping while we were on our privileged Cebu Pacific Air seats. To show their support for this philanthropy project, they have kindly sponsored our air tickets and offered us the first row - extra leg space and we get to be first to disembark! 

By the time we arrived our accommodation, it was past midnight and everyone adjourned to bed because we had a call time of 730am. 
--

DAY 2


We drove past this scenic view on our way to Gawad Kalinga's Mabuhay community at Cabiao, Nueva Ecijia. It was such a lovely sight to behold! 

Got off our vehicle and the little kids start running towards us, with a tinge of shyness as they peep at us with the corner of their eyes. We made our way to the tent for a briefing, which was consecutively used as our dining table and refuge from the sun.  


A group of us started shifting bricks while another were deployed to shovel. It wasn't an easy feat..and the blistering sun didn't make us (or maybe just me) feel any better. I have very sensitive skin - which causes me to grow spots instantaneously when I stay in the sun for a prolonged period of time. I covered as much as I can and did as much work as I could, but still pale in comparison as the rest! Yikes. 


I excitedly ran to the shelter when Caroline, our tour coordinator signalled everyone for a water break. By then, some kids have already started surrounding some of us and we got a little caught up! These little tots are so precious. :')


One group photo before lunch (missing Nat the photographer who was tirelessly shooting under the merciless sun)


Lunch was insightful - they sprawled banana leaves over the table and scooped ingredients over it. Known as the Boodle Fight Lunch, we were required to eat with our bare hands and STAND while having this meal. 

We continued building the foundations of the house and made our way back to our accommodation at 5pm. I can safely say that all of us were overly exhausted from the lack of sleep and the spike of labour work we had. 

--

DAY 3

Our final day in the community!


The kids were our rays of sunshine as they grinned widely when we arrived. We took a few group photos before starting our agenda for the day! And yep, I'm the only one who wore a long sleeve top over our Gawad Kalinga tshirt because I was already a thousand shades tanner after yesterday's battle.


We moved on to painting and it was really fun! To paint the higher areas, we were first given a really long wooden stick. We were then offered metal platforms to stand on so that we had easier reach to the top parts. 


These kiddos made their way into our hearts and territory by offering to paint with Jun An. They found so much joy in doing so, that they rolled orange paint over their slip ons and uttered 'ganda (beautiful in Tagalog)'. With brilliant smiles plastered over their faces, it was almost impossible to be infected by them. How contented they were, treating plastic bags and stones like toys they picked from the ground. I sincerely pray that more would step out to see; to see that in some ways they were richer than us. 


After a buffet lunch, some of them played with the kids and had an incredible amount of fun..While I stayed in the shelter and sulked in the misery of my period cramps. 

We proceeded to have a family immersion session; where 2 of us would team up and spend time with the family we were assigned to! Sharine and I had the opportunity to be hosted by Aida, where she lives in the community together with her 22 year old daughter. 

In order for anyone to live in the community, they were required to clock in certain number of days to build the houses and they wouldn't know which belongs to them till it was completed. This was to ensure everyone places equal effort in each and every building. 


There was a GK amazing race and my sister's team won! The last challenge was to eat their local dish called Balut - developing duck embryo (fertilized duck egg) that is boiled and eaten in the shell. Shine swallowed it in a mouthful while James seemed to be enjoying it.


Concluded our community programme on a high note with quality time spent with the kids! All of us reluctantly bade farewell as precious friendships were forged. Before I climbed into the jeep, a little tug my t shirt, hugged me tightly and requested for a photo...I couldn't say no. 

Some of the tita (aunties) even prepared tissue boxes in case there was anyone who needed them. Undoubtedly a tear-jerking moment when the vehicle made its way to the community exit; with kids trailing off as they murmured their goodbyes. 

Returned to our inn with heavy hearts but finally had time for one another; where most of us stayed up till the wee hours. Packed our luggages and were whisked off to the airport the next morning! That concludes my first experience doing community work in the Philippines.. and I'm pretty sure I'll be back despite the discomfort and difference. 



Not forgetting that we witnessed one of God's beautiful creation - swirls of pink and purple flooded in as the sun makes it's dip to the horizon of padi fields. I had the opportunity to shoot a set with Nat too, but I'll save that for another time. :)


We made a decision to step out of our comfort zones, and the intangible returns was beyond words. Thank you everyone for being a part of this! 

Photos by Natalie (Multifolds)

You May Also Like

0 comments

//]]>